Free-choice Learning and Learning Loss in our Pandemic world ft. John Falk

By Stephen G Hurley

Host Stephen Hurley scans the education ecosystem, looking for the people and ideas that are starting to change the way we think about teaching, learning, schools and communities

According to the Institute for Learning Innovation, just 5% of what we learn in a lifetime takes place in school. In this conversation, ILI Executive Director, John Falk, talks about the other 95%. We talk about free-choice learning in the context of the current pandemic and we also explore how challenging the common assumptions about “learning loss” might help us leverage learning opportunities in a new way.

Find out more about John’s work at https://instituteforlearninginnovation.org

Bookmark(0)

Author

Stephen G. Hurley
Chief Catalyst, voicEd Radio Canada

Stephen Hurley has spent nearly 40 years as an educator. He has experience as a classroom teacher, a curriculum consultant, a teacher educator and a policy observer.

He has a strong relationship with the EdCan Network (formerly the Canadian Education Association), an organization that inspired the launch and evolution of voicEd Radio Canada.

Hurley believes that stronger connections between education research, practice and policy are essential to the type of change that will be necessary in Canada's public education systems moving forward.