12 Tools for a Successful Start to the New School Year – 207
12 Tools for a Successful Beginning to the New School Year
1. Greet students when they enter your class.
2. Use a seating chart to help you learn their names.
3. Develop your “Spidey Sense.”
4. Know you.
5. Plan – big (unit) & small (daily).
6. Include opportunities for checking for understanding (formative assessment).
7. Get better at giving feedback.
8. Start and stop class.
9. Have a way for you to stay in touch with parents.
10. What will you do?
11. Attitude check and adjustment.
12. Reflect on what happened.
What do you think?
Have an awesome year!
Check out these other links for more information:
Here are some of my youtube links:
https://youtu.be/vHN9Ym4_cR0 Opening Class
https://youtu.be/SFWTxLwl7_E Do You Need a Timeout?
https://youtu.be/N-kD9YqEWgk Use Their Names
https://youtu.be/QK9EbDr5Gb0 Greet Kids at Your Door
https://youtu.be/0rm1THfbpbA Make Contact with Parents Now
Books on Feedback and Checking for Understanding – Formative Assessment:
How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students by Susan M. Brookhart
Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom by Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey
Length – 33:49